NAT type 2 is generally the best choice for ps5. With NAT type 2, all services should work as designed, and you will not experience connection issues. Unlike NAT type 1, which requires a public IP address assigned to your PS5, NAT type 2 is obtainable even when connected through a router.
For most gamers who use PlayStation Network, NAT type 2 offers the best performance, functionality, and security balance. It also means that you do not need a dedicated public IP address just for your PS5.
This is a good thing because most residential internet service providers only provide a single public IP address. I doubt you want to disconnect all your other devices just to use your PS5. I also doubt that most of you want to pay your ISP extra for a second public IP address.
This means that you can avoid having your PS5 connected through network address translation (NAT). This means NAT Type 1 is not going to be an option for most PS5 gamers. Fortunately, NAT Type 2 is just as good for most people.
PS5 NAT Type 2
What is NAT Type 2 on ps5
NAT type 2 on PS5 means that your console is properly connected behind a router that is performing NAT, and traffic is flowing smoothly. NAT Type 2 is the goal when setting up a PlayStation 5 Console. Of all the NAT types, NAT Type 2 is the best choice for most PS5 gamers.
NAT type 2 means the following is true:
- Your PlayStation 5 is behind a router performing NAT.
- Your router is aware of your PS5 and is routing packets on specific ports properly to your PlayStation.
- Your PS5 is able to properly connect to other players.
- You will have no issues being the host of multiplayer lobbies in most games.
- Video, voice, and chat features in PlayStation Network will work properly and without limitations.
- You can get an Open NAT type in games.
It is very common to have a NAT type 2 and get an Open NAT type in games. This is optimal for most gamers. It is also possible that with a NAT type 2, you could be getting a moderate or even strict NAT type in games. This is because games use specific ports; depending on how your router is configured, the ports may or may not be blocked.
How to Get Open NAT in Games on PS5 with a NAT Type 2
There are several ways to change your NAT type to open in games while having a NAT type 2 on your PlayStation console in the PlayStation Network settings. For most people, UPnP is going to require the fewest steps to complete. Port forwarding is a more secure way to fix the problem, but the process is more complicated for most non-tech-savvy users.
- Set up port forwarding on your router. This is the most secure way of changing your NAT type in games to open. It is also the most technical to configure. Learn how to set up port forwarding on PS5.
- Enable UPnP from the settings dashboard of your router. This is generally the least technical way to change your NAT type to open on a Sony PS5.
- Put your PS5 in the demilitarized zone (DMZ) of your router. This will forward all ports to your console and get you an open NAT type.
- Use a VPN service with a static IP address, such as NordVPN.
Keep in mind that this will open your NAT type in games while keeping a NAT type 2 in the PS5 settings menu. This is what you want to do. This will not give you a NAT type 1, and that is perfectly fine.
Why NAT Type 2 is Good on PS5
The following are reasons that NAT type 2 is best for PS5.
- Allows you to get an Open NAT type in games.
- Doesn’t require a dedicated public IP address.
- Does not expose your PS5 to the security risks associated with a NAT type 1.
- Video, voice, and chat features will work properly and without any limitations.
- You will often be selected as the host for online multiplayer matches.
Getting a NAT Type 2 and an open NAT type in games should be the goal for most PS5 gamers. NAT Type 1 requires connecting your PS5 directly to the internet with its own public IP address, this is both a bad security practice and generally not worth the additional cost.
Conclusion: NAT Type 2 on PS5
As with many gaming platforms, PS5 can frequently be impacted by NAT type issues. Getting a NAT Type 2 on PS5 is going to solve many of the issues associated with a NAT Type 3. Getting a NAT Type 1 is impracticable for most PS5 users, as it requires dedicating a public IP address solely to your PS5 console
There is no benefit to having a NAT type 1, as long as you are getting an open NAT in the games you play. NAT type 2 is best for PS5.
Fortunately, getting a NAT type 2 on PS5 is easily obtainable by most people. If you have a NAT type 3 on your PS5, you can be sure that you are getting good performance. If you want to take it a step further, make sure your NAT type is open in the games themselves. This will vary by game, as different games tend to use different ports